What Causes High Alkaline Phosphatase in Blood Test

Alkaline Phosphatase Blood Test - Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) is an enzyme that is found in all the tissues of our body.

But its highest quantity is found in bones, liver, kidney, intestine, and placenta.

About 80% of alkaline phosphatase is found in our liver and bone, and the remaining 20% is found in the kidney, intestine, and placenta.

What is the Function of Alkaline Phosphatase in Liver

Alkaline phosphatase performs many functions in our body. It helps in digesting our food and keeping our bones strong.

Transports nutrients and enzymes to and from the liver.

ALP helps in the development of bones and in maintaining them healthy.
ALP helps to transport calcium and phosphate from our intestines to our bones, muscles, and nerve cells so that they can perform their normal functions.
ALP helps in the transportation of fatty acids too so that energy can be stored in adipose tissue.
It helps in the cell development of babies during pregnancy.
It also prevents the cell from getting damaged.

Why is Alkaline Phosphatase Test Done

Alkaline phosphatase test is done by the doctor to find out the condition of your liver and bones.
If there is any problem in your liver and bone, this test helps the doctor to diagnose further disease.

However, the increase or decrease of ALP alone does not indicate any disease, for this, the doctor also prescribes other tests to get an idea of the correct condition.


alkaline phosphatase, alkaline phosphatase high, alkaline phosphatase low

What is the Normal Range of Alkaline Phosphatase Blood Test

The normal value of alkaline phosphatase in our blood is 20 U/L to 140 U/L. This value varies from lab to lab.
Its value increases in growing children and during pregnancy.
People with HIV or women who take birth control pills also have abnormal levels.

What Causes High Alkaline Phosphatase in Blood

Higher-than-normal levels of alkaline phosphatase (ALP) may indicate liver or bone problems, for example

1) Hepatitis
2) Liver cancer
3) liver cirrhosis
4) Bile duct blockage
5) Gallbladder inflammation
6) Vitamin D and calcium deficiency
7) Paget's Disease
8) Bone Cancer
9) Osteoporosis
10) Heart failure

What Causes Low Alkaline Phosphatase in Blood

Low level of alkaline phosphatase also indicates many diseases like

1) Malnutrition
2) Zinc and magnesium deficiency

3) Autoimmune anemia
4) Wilson's disease
5) Ulcerative Colitis
6) Crohn's disease
7) Celiac disease
8) Aplastic anemia
9) Dwarfism
10) Hypophosphatasia

Symptoms of Abnormal Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP)

1) Nausea 

2) Weight loss

3) Fatigue

4) Weakness

5) Jaundice

6) Abdominal pain

7) Persistent itching

8) Dark urine

9) Pain in the joints of the bones

10) Dislocation of bones or formation of lumps


Treatment of Elevated Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) Levels

1) When Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) is increased, first the doctor finds out the reason and treats it. Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) is found elevated to a certain extent in children and teenagers.

2) If you have any liver or bone disease, get it treated, Alkaline Phosphate (ALP) will automatically get normal.
3) When Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) is high, the doctor gives some medicines which help in reducing Alkaline Phosphate (ALP) like
N-Acetyl Cysteine, Vitamin-C, Taurine, L-Carnitine and Cinacalcet,
Take these medicines only on the advice of the doctor.

4) If you are taking birth control pills, then stop them with the advice of the doctor, because of birth control pills increases the level of alkaline phosphatase (ALP).

5) If you are taking an anti-depressant, anti-inflammatory, or steroid then due to that also the alkaline phosphatase (ALP) increases. Consult your doctor before taking any medicine.

6) If you are eating more zinc food, then due to that also the alkaline phosphatase (ALP) increases. Because zinc is one of the main components of ALP. Stop non-veg consumption, ALP will reduce automatically.

7) Eat foods that are high in copper such as almonds, sunflower oil, pulses, dark chocolate, apricots, asparagus, etc.

8) Milk, paneer, curd, butter-milk, mushroom, etc help in reducing the ALP level.

9) Adequate intake of Vitamin-D or exposure to sunlight also reduces the ALP level to a great extent.

10) Even if you do regular yoga, your ALP level will remain under control.
Increased or decreased alkaline phosphatase (ALP) levels alone do not indicate disease in most cases.
Get other tests done for complete information and understand the reasons written above due to which the level of ALP can increase or decrease.



What are the Signs and Symptoms of Kidney Disease

Lav Tripathi

Lav Tripathi is the co-founder of Bretlyzer Healthcare & www.capejasmine.org He is a full-time blogger, trader, and Online marketing expert for the last 10 years. His passion for blogging and content marketing helps people to grow their businesses.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post